The other day, Miss Crankypants was at her keyboard, pounding away on a deadline, when her backyard neighbor decided to power wash his home’s siding. As if this wasn’t bad enough, her across the street neighbor got out the electric saw. Plus, it was 9:30 AM on a Saturday. Talk about an Unchained Melody!
Poor Miss CP cannot write unless she maintains a sacred silence. Oh, she knows other (very strange) writers who must have the TV going or else some sort of noise in order to produce word count. But these writers are definitely in the minority. Most are like Miss Crankypants: be very careful if you walk up behind her and ask a question. She will bark your head off for you if you say anything. “DON’T BUG ME WHEN I”M THE ZONE!” Potential offenders include but are not limited to:
- Children who need to know what will happen if the stick their socks in the toaster to warm them up.
- Spousal units who ask, “When’s dinner?”
- Friends who ring you up to ask you what you’re doing.
- Teens who text you for a ride home from the mall.
- Dogs and/or cats, turtles, birds, gerbils or family members that want to be fed, walked, let out, let in or who are generally making a nuisance of themselves.
- Door-to-door salespeople, including cute kids selling chocolate bars or cookies.
- Aforementioned rude neighbors who mow, saw, prune, till or power wash before 10AM.
Has Miss Crankypants left anyone out? She’d love to hear from you–what’s the most annoying noise you’ve heard when you’re “in the zone?” And what do you say?