Writing Tip for Today: I’ve found quite a few parallels between giving birth and finishing a novel.
- Both are conceived as ideas we don’t really know as well as we certainly will later on.
- Both take some time to mature, sometimes much longer than originally anticipated. Bodhi was nearly a week late. My first novel was 15 years in the writing.
- Both bring us joy, tears and more than a little pride.
- Both quickly develop minds of their own.
- Both novels and babies frequently call out to us or keep us up at night.
If we’re lucky:
- The baby and the novel will each resemble us, but not so much that’s it’s hard to tell which is which.
- Once the baby is born and the novel has been drafted, the real work of revision or training begins.
- Nobody will tell us that our baby or our novel is ugly.